A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Monday, April 25, 2011

Resurrection

   Easter. Resurrection. Are we talking Ghosts? Visions? Are we supposed to believe that a spirit is telling us he survived death? For over two thousand years millions of Christians have believed that Jesus Christ died, was buried and on the third day he rose from the dead. And a ton of people saw him. Millions - maybe billions believe this ghost story of the New Testament.
   Me too.
   The difference is that most of those people are willing to take the Bible's word for it. On faith.
   Not me. Neither my Christian upbringing nor my Roman Catholic schooling could convince me that there is life after death. Sometimes they tried and I would sit there and chuckle - like a brat - thinking, "Dream on..." Except for the times when they started hurling the stories of Satan and his bands of demons around - then, scared stiff, I'd make a beeline for the confessional and spill my guts, prostrating myself on the beliefs of the RC church, begging for forgiveness. The rest of the afternoon was usually spent trying to stay awake while I tried in vain to keep track of the rosary which had been doled out as my penance. Major turn off that. The longer I knelt there the more atheistic my thoughts got.
   But not for long. Who can look out on a spring morning with all it's brand new earthly life and not believe in God? Or hold a new baby - or a kitten...
   Not me. God - the Universe - whoever you are - is here. 
   And then when Drew died, I knew with absolutely certainty that his body may have died - he's gone - but he lives. I saw him five days after he died. Totally Drew. There is life after death, we can and do come back in spirit. There is no doubt. There is a resurrection of the body.
   Jesus tried to tell us.
   The book, Show Me Heaven Drew, in which I have documented that first year after Drew left us, is nearing publication and you will be the first to know when and where it can be found.
   I spent Saturday with Sara, Drew's childhood sweetheart, adding the finishing touches to the publication process. These youngsters know everything about computers. She's a whiz kid. I'm not.
   I hope you had a lovely Easter and ate a lot of chocolate. It perks all the endorphins up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait