A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

PollyAnna

   I re-read yesterday's blog and wasn't totally thrilled with it. It wasn't supposed to sound so Pollyana-ish but it did.
   I'm very aware that we have no control over some of the things that happen to us and that you can't just flip a switch and say, "Okay! That's done. Let's move on." No. It doesn't happen like that at all.
   The truly devastating things that happen to us are very often too deep to fathom, too deep to push aside easily. Too deep to want to think about. The wound too painful to look at in broad daylight. To open it up and air it out.
  But that deep place is so sad. So dark, so ... unthinkable. I can't stay at the bottom of that pit forever. So I chose to find the way out. One step at a time. One moment at a time until the moments became minutes and the minutes turned into hours and days. It takes time and that time span is different for everyone.
   The choice to consciously make things better made the difference between living and dying for me.
   The cold and the dark and the numbness at the bottom of my pit would have claimed my life if I'd stayed.
   I hope that if any of you have ever reached those depths, you'll remind yourself that you still know how to climb and you can reach for the sky, one handhold at a time.
Here's mine.      

No comments: