A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Friday, April 1, 2011

From the Mountains

     From the Mountains Cometh My Strength. James.

   I'm back in the Rockies for a few days, replenishing my spirit. This is Bachelor Gulch in Colorado, about six miles from Vail and the place that is home to one of the best hotels and resorts in the world. The Ritz Carlton at Bachelor Gulch. This is where Drew lived, worked and played in the mountains for the last five years of his life. It is also the place that awarded him their Five Star Employee Award for 2008.
   So I'm sitting on my balcony, looking out at Beaver Creek Mountain watching the ski crowd weaving and swerving their way down the slopes. The snow boarders swishing and curving, swaying - flying like the wind -  and aggravating the serious skiiers :) It's sixty degrees farenheit, the sun is shining and I can breathe in the air here, fill my lungs with life and peace and strength, surrounded by Drew's freinds and co-workers and being spoilt to death. I love these kids! They are all so vibrant, so kind so smart and sweet.  
  
   From the Mountains Cometh My Strength: It's a quote that's always resonated with me. Perhaps it has something to do with my wild and free youth in Rhodesia. Not so free actually. If you've ever been a resident of an all-girls boarding school, you will know that there are eyes in the walls, in the floors and in the hallways and bushes. You can't get away with anything - much less making a break for it. But it had its moments.For instance, I was crazy in love at sixteen with the captain of the Umtali Boys High School Rugby team. (McDreamy, move over!) He was seventeen. Clandestine phone calls, love letters and trumped up excuses for going to town, took up a fair amount of my time - and his - but everything was so exciting and naughty!!
I don't know about him but it kept me from dying of boredom for a while.
  But I digress. Here's the point - that school's motto was; Ex Montibus Robur as some of you from that era may remember.  From the Mountains Strength. So strong, so brave and sure and confident. Everything I wasn't. So it could be that just plain boy-craziness had me hooked.
    But I don't believe that.
   When I look out at the Rocky Mountains, my soul flies free. Words fade in insignificance and I stand in awe in their majesty, their beauty, their rock solid strength. And for a while I can breathe it in and feel that it belongs to me. From The Mountains, Strength. 

2 comments:

cmcenery@nc.rr.com said...

Loved this one and can so relate !!!

Malcolm D said...

I was doing a search for the correct translation off our school motto "Ex Montibus Robur" for some photos on the Umtali High Facebook page when I came across your blog. Great to read what you had to say. When training as part of the UBHS athletics team we used to do wind jammers up 4th Street along side Tulloch & Athlone up towards Kopje House & I wondered which hostel you were in? I also played 1st team rugby & we definitely appreciated the UGHS perks that often came along with being a member of the 1st XV!! I married a UGHS girl - Alice Thorne, she was at the school in the early 70's. Thank you for the brief trip down memory lane.