A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Thursday, February 17, 2011

And So...

    Oops! I didn't get to the blog machine yesterday. Here's what happened. I know! Excuses! I get so tired of people making excuses. But here's mine, anyway. Old friends came to dinner last night and whereas I had everything under control the day before, you know, get the roast in at this time, the vegggies in later, the desert - ahh the desert. Start that at 3:00 - It only takes 10 minutes to prepare. A cinch.  And after the ten-minutes-to prepare, I would visit my computer.
    Well, my best laid plans went awry. Kaput. Because at some time during the day, I happened to turn on the Cooking Channel and this French chef was making a most intriguing chocolate desert. Change of plan (Never a good idea when in the throes of what my husband used to call dinner party frenzy.)
    To cut a long story short, after the unscheduled run to the store for ingredients I never have on hand, a call to my neighbor to borrow an exotic saucepan, and nearly two hours of preparation, the result was - no blog yesterday. In fact I was lucky to be out of the shower when the guests arrived. A streak of chocolate in my hair shrieked I still wore yesterdays hair, but nobody said anything. I can only hope they thought it was something new and exotic.
    The desert, by the was was quite extrordinary. Dripping dark chocolate and bourbon caramel sauce...nobody could finish it because it was so rich. It kept me up most of the night.
   But here I am. My hair got washed, I'm a little pale from a lack of sleep - but unbowed.
  
  "Show Me Heaven, Drew."  Is on the ride to being published. I don't have any dates, in fact I don't have any publishers which fact would ordinarily come before the date-setting. No probem. That'll all fall into place, but suffice it to say, it will be sometime in Summer. Summer's on it's way. It must be. It always gets here eventually. And when the book is published, I will publish the news here.
    In the meantime, it's riding the waves of the process. It hit some shoals earlier on in the way of a few rejections. I hate that ...why am I so insecure? It's such a great story. Some people (those who could publish it if they were so inclined) don't want it, though. I have to accept that. I can do that... No stalking publishers. Or editors. No annonymous - or threatening - letters to reluctant publishers. That sort of thing. I can accept that. But then I've also heard that I should expect rejections! Nay!
   But I have had to accept that too. In any case, bloodied but unbowed, (I'm a survivor) publish I will. I read somewhere, that John Grisham received 50 rejections before he got his first book published. Unbelievable. So I've still got time, and work to do if I want to catch up.
   I've taken too much of your time for today. The real purpose of this blog is to tell you about the vast beyond,beyond I've discovered out there. And those buried creases in the brain we don't even know are there.

Tomorrow I will.
  

No comments: