A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Friday, March 18, 2011

Animal Spirits

I spoke to a psychic medium four or five months ago - one I had waited six months to get an appointment with.
I don't usually talk to psychics because you never know what you're getting. But this one had a radio show, TV show, all the trimmings and came highly recommended so I decided to shell out a lot of $s and talk to the guy. He was overall very good. Brought in Drew right away, anticipated all my questions before I had a chance to ask them and then said, "Did you have a dog that has recently passed?" Yes I did. And then I thought Ha! There's a 50-50 chance someone my age is going to have a dog that's recently passed! Phoney! Don't try and pull the wool over my eyes! I'm on to you, fella. 
"He's with Drew and he's letting me know that you did exactly the right thing. You had no choice but to put him down. It was the right thing and he's very happy."
Now, supposing he had been talking to someone who's dog was a "she" and had been hit by a car or died a natural, easy death... this remark of his would have caused a lot of  unecessary upset. 
But my dog, Ranger was a "he" and I had put him down following a lot of anxiety and soul searching - well, you know how that is if you've ever put an animal down, it's awful.
Not bad. Not a phoney. But be careful with these guys.

Talking to Drew early one morning, the air was suddenly filled with the scent of tall, dry grass. I could feel a light breeze fluttering through red acacias. It was warm and sunlight flooded the vision. There was Drew, in just a pair of khaki shorts leaning against a tree and lying beside him, with his head on Drew's lap, was a full grown black-maned lion. It was purring.
"I love sitting with the animals in the early morning -  waking up with them," Drew said. "They're especially warm and loving when they're waking up." He stroked the lion's head. "We can understand each other perfectly over here. He's teaching me how to run and spring the way he does." He laughed, "He wants to learn how to fly." 
Drew made several trips to South Africa with Walt and I. He felt at home from the moment we got there and all he wanted to do was to go back one day and run his own hotel.
Last year I made a trip to Johannesburg and took some of his ashes with me. I scattered them under the roses at my childhood home and asked the ancient spirits of Africa to love my son.

See you soon.

No comments: