A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Friday, August 2, 2013

I Must Be Dreaming ...

I wonder about dreams. Don't we all?

Some dreams I get; I totally understand dreams that seem to be leftovers from the previous day. A kaleidoscope of images, impressions, fears and excitements of the last few days or weeks. I recognize the circumstances and the people and so, I know what we're talking about here - my brain and I. The other dreams I understand well are the dreams that aren't really dreams, but visits from people I'm missing, people who have passed over, people who live thousands of miles away - or right next door, if they've been on my mind.

These special dreams are so real you can almost reach out and touch them. You can feel the warmth emanating from the other person, smell that person's special scent, feel the emotions coming from him or her. And they almost always have a message for you.

Take one I had not long ago about old friends of mine who I hadn't seen for months - but had every intention of calling ... In the dream, the husband and wife were standing together and she was saying,
"We can handle it." He was quiet. I felt very strongly that there was something physically wrong with him. So I called them that morning.
"Is everything alright?" I asked. "No," my friend said. "Jack has just been diagnosed with something they have no cure for. But we can handle it ... we'll handle it," she said.

Always follow up on dreams like this. Sometimes the meaning isn't quite as clear. But hang onto the dream and it will almost always show it's meaning very soon.
In another dream, a young friend of mine was twirling in a knee-length wedding dress. I could smell the scent of the bouquet she held, her cheeks were pink and there was a glow about her I could almost feel. Later on that day, I called her mother who said, "Isn't that funny! Maryanne and I were talking about what kind of wedding dress she had in mind ... she was adamant that it would not be a long gown. A short dress," she said. "Nothing too formal."  It surprised me. I always thought Maryanne would go for the whole long gown, train and bridesmaids galore. Apparently not. 

And then there are those strange flashes of dreams that usually careen around right before I fall asleep. They're filled with strange faces. People I don't recall ever seeing, in places I've never been to. These too, are very real. Vibrant. Although I never hear voices or any conversation out of them. Who are they? The faces are clear but quite unknown to me. Who are they? There's not much action around them - they're just like - now you see them, now you don't.
Well, your guess is as good as mine. Are they bleedthroughs of long forgotten faces in a throng? A crowd? Someone I met very briefly - and forgot immediately? Why would my brain through them up now? Or, are they people from another life? A parallel universe? Friends from the other side? People I knew before I came to earth?
One day we'll find out. In the meantime, I'll wonder. And always be amazed.
Sleep well my friends, stay well, and I wish you pleasant dreams.  
 

No comments: