A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Riding With You Down Country Roads,

 I drove down to South Carolina and the beach last week. It should have been an easy ride; I was longing to see my family who had gathered for the annual get-together, I couldn't wait to get to the beach, and the weather promised to be beautiful. What fun!
So much for that. I was as nervous as a cat in a sack because I'd never driven this way before and what's more, it was just Becca (my 14 year old granddaughter) and me making the trip. Everything depended on ME not to lose my way, not to panic, not to mess up. Too much responsibility. I was sweating for days before I left. Called all my friends to keep their cell phones handy in case someone had to come and rescue me.
But early on Monday morning, we piled into the car and took off. Becca's duffle bag weighed more than the back seat of my car. Good! Plenty of clothes. We wouldn't freeze. In July. I could breathe.
And then suddenly, I laughed! That familiar WHOOSH! of warm air filled the car, and I knew Drew was travelling with us. 'Every step of the way, remember, Mom?'
I remembered. "Beck," I said, "I have the strongest feeling that Uncle Drew is going to the beach with us!"
"Mmmm..." she was already snoozing.
"Just you wait - he's going to play one of his favorite songs for us - somewhere between here and there. And I'm thinking it'll be Nickelback's "Photograph." 
"Mmmm..."
My nerves settled down. The early morning countryside going south was beautiful. Rolling hills, wild flowers ... I felt like singing. But I didn't. I just breathed deeply and relaxed into the drive.
Two hours later, Becca awoke in time to help navigate us through the Greensboro interchange between Route 68 and Interstate 40. Hectic! Multi-lane madness! Traffic all over the place, I clutched the steering wheel with all my might, nerves in high gear, put my head down and drove.
Suddenly, there was a little tap on my knee. "Mimi - listen ..."
I listened. Nickelback was singing, "Photograph".
Of course. "... every step of the way, Mom."
And I began to sing. Until three hours later when we got stuck in the South Carolina mud. More about that next time.
Take care!

4 comments:

Somewhere Out There said...

I like this blog!

Somewhere Out There said...

Testing the comments page. I think it's up and running! Please try it.

Unknown said...

Love that Drew continues to 'travel' with you :)

Somewhere Out There said...

Thank you!