A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Friday, August 16, 2013

Yes, Ghosts Do Like to Shop!

In my last blog, I talked about how so many of us have our own stories about our encounters with spirits. At every book signing, every presentation, these stories just pour out of people, as though they've been dammed up a long time. Well, not anymore. It's okay to talk about them now.

The thing that intrigues me most, and lends validation to this whole line of thought is this: Our stories are so many, and so similar, that there is no reason not to believe that they are what they are. Real.

And here's another one: A couple of weeks ago, a fellow writer blogged a story about shopping with a ghost! (You can read her blog at http:www.ghosttalkblog.com)

I can relate to that. In my book, "By Morning's Light", I tell the story of having lunch with a girlfriend of Drew's before they split up, just before he passed. I hadn't seen her since the Memorial Service and wanted to give her a present. Well, I shopped all afternoon and nothing caught my eye. Funny thing was, I hit on one store, and for some reason, although I wasn't finding anything there I wanted, I stayed all afternoon. It never occurred to me to try another store. (I can tell you exactly where everything was is in that store because I walked by it so many times.) I just kept looking for the perfect gift. Somehow knowing it was there.

2-3 hours later, I had almost given up, and was about to settle for a scarf or something totally without personality, when I walked past a counter and there, under the glass, was something I'd never thought of, something that had never crossed my mind to get. But it was right.

I bought it, The salesperson wrapped it in tissue paper and put it in a bag and I left the store on cloud nine! But...would Drew's friend like it??? I had no idea.

So, we met for lunch, and just as we were getting sentimental, I gave her the gift thinking it would cheer us up. Well! She burst into tears, so did I.

I said, "WHAT! What's going on?"

"Oh my God! This silver card holder with the butterfly etched on the cover, is the exact same gift I bought for Drew just days before we broke up!" She dabbed her eyes. "But, he never knew about it because he died before I could give it to him..."

Drew had been shopping with me. "Oh yes, he did!" I told her. "This is from Drew - telling you he knew about it, knows about it ... he's acknowledging it! This is a gift from him."

After shopping all morning for the perfect gift, I had been guided by Drew to this gift, to this place, to this girl with this gift. Coincidence? Well, you know what I think about that!

Believe.

No comments: