A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Why Are We Here?

     Hmmm. I wonder about that. Here's what I know. Because I've been able to meet new babies coming into this world before they get here, I know there's a plan of some sort.
   My own grand daughter at about the age of five chatted to me at length one afternoon about being able to choose her parents. She had a choice to make before she incarnated, she said, and that was whether to come into this family  - or that family.          
     I've heard that this earth place we live in is actually a place of learning. An earth school if you will. And that we when we decide to come here we do so in order to learn specific lessons. I wonder if they're new lessons or lessons whose test we failed the last time around so we have to repeat the course over and over until we get it... I don't know. 
   What I think is this. Once we choose or realize which lessons we have to learn, or which human traits or attributes we have to perfect - or get rid of - it becomes necessary to choose the right people to come in with. People who will either help or challenge us to do better. We may even choose to be here with a person who'll make it almost impossible for us to get it right. These are the hardest teachers.
     How do I believe in a God who snatches someone I love away from me? What is the lesson I'm supposed to learn here? I still don't know for sure. Could I have prevented this tragedy? Am I to blame in some way? Or am I supposed to learn that everyone has his or her own blueprint to follow and I am not the Master of the Universe here to direct everyone ... Perhaps something like this challenges our prejudices, makes us love a little stronger, listen a little harder or to show compassion instead of impatience with others who are suffering. And especialIy with ourselves.
   What about a husband or wife who deserts a marriage? The word "hate" takes on a whole new meaning to the one who's left behind. Especially if there is someone else involved. Am I supposed to go inward and see how I could have stopped this from happening? Or am I supposed to learn something about NOT blaming myself because someone else took another fork in the path we were both following for a while. And realize I'm not perfect and neither is anyone else. That hate is destructive - no matter how good it feels ...
   So maybe we're here simply to learn to love ourselves and others just a little bit more than we did before.
Think so? That "love" word carries a ton of other words, doesn't it... compassion, tolerance and patience just to name a few.
   Enough to give me a headache just thinking about it.
Anyway, cheers! And Good Luck!

No comments: