A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Anybody There?

   A strange thing happened to Sara a couple of months ago. She is a childhood friend of Drew's. They rode the school bus together everyday, they shared music and as they got older they would spend hours on the phone together sorting out their own separate dramas and sometimes, other peoples. They were soul buddies in every sense.
   On this particular day, she had spent nearly all day at my house helping me with the graphics for the book, Show Me Heaven, Drew. It's safe to say that my computer dislikes me. It throws roadblocks up every time I say, Okay  - we're going to do something new today. I think it's lazy but whatever, it is an anomaly to me. Anything outside of emails and now facebook and blogs,  is like learning a crazy Greek or Chinese puzzle. So Sara came to my aid and shifted and changed, deleted and added and made me a beautiful book to present to the publishers.
   We felt Drew with us all day long. Hovering over the computer, filling the silences with his presense and making us remember stories about him that made us laugh.
   Sara left the house at about five. At about six that evening, she texted me from her cell phone. 
   "OMG! My phone rang on the way home and when I picked it up it was a call from Drew's old number. No name. Was it him?"
   You know it was. Drew's phone was disconnected two and a half years ago and lies dormant in a drawer in his bedroom. No one but him could make that call.
   Hellooooo??
   Later!

No comments: