A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Spirit Horse

Dreams are interesting, aren't they? What are they ... figments of imagination picked up by vagrant winds that drift through our unconsciousness late at night or early morning? Golden moments that light unknown crevices of our brains? Projections of our thoughts? Or do they foretell and sometimes forewarn us of upcoming events? I think they may be all of the above and much more besides. Two or three nights ago I had one of those short, but very clear dreams. I appeared to be nothing more than an observer - I couldn't see myself in the dream but I knew I was there watching the scene unfold. Just the spirit me was there; taking a little trip outside of my sleeping body. The dream scene was rural and I seemed to be standing in the entranceway of a horse barn I had never seen before. I could see a shaft of light pouring through the opening, lighting the hay scraps on the earthen floor, beaming off the wood beams of a stall. And standing in front of the stall was a white horse. He was unbridled, unshod and free. Soft light, like misty early morning sunshine, surrounded the animal giving it an almost luminous quality. It's mane was long and untangled, it's tail swished the air, its head was lowered, its ears twitching. Light bathed the strong flanks. Peace filled the space around it. And then the dream was gone. I've been wondering about this dream. It didn't come from any experience I've ever had. I haven't been around that many horses in my life, and I've never seen one like this. But I'm not totally ignorant of them. Over the course of my like I've had friends who have horse farms or maybe just one or two horses, and I've enjoyed visiting them. I've stroked horses, put my cheek beside theirs and listened to them speak, maybe even rode one of them once, but never formed any particular relationship with any of them. So who was this beautiful horse in my dream? I couldn't tell if it was male or female. Maybe it was neither. My instincts tell me it was a Spirit Horse. In Native American lore they are very often healers, prophets and animals that come into our lives for some reason. A reason we can't fathom at the time. All I know is that it was magnificent, a light being filled with peace. It was totally free of constraint, unbridled, vibrantly strong and full of energy. Ready to run free ... from here to eternity. How incredibly lovely. Whoever it is, I'm glad it came into my dream.

No comments: