A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Monday, March 17, 2014

A Spirit to Show the way

Last Thursday I visited an old lady friend who's spending her last days in an extended care facility. (The nice name for a Nursing Home, which strikes fear into the hearts of the bravest people I know.) She's very old - well into her nineties - but she still reads and gets around shakily in a walker. Her mind when she's clear is very clear. Her innate intelligence is intact, only clouded sometimes by physical old age. But there's something else going on. Now that the strong physical senses of sight, hearing, etc. are weakening, the spiritual sixth sense is able to break through, stepping forward, taking the lead, and I believe, leading her to the next place. All last week, she spoke with visitors about a beautiful,shining hospital, a lovely place with caring people and a doctor she loved. She asked me when I visited, if I would take her there. I asked her where it was and she said, "In Washington, and I want you to get me there!" Washington was her lifelong home. It's possible she's remembering a long ago hospital stay where she had a good experience. But she's painting it in out-of-this-world adjectives of beauty and love. She can't seem to find enough words to properly describe this place. I heard that while she was speaking to one of doctors, she confided to him that not only was she in this gorgeous place, but her husband, himself a doctor , was on staff there, taking care of her.(He was a doctor before he died several years ago.) So where is she? I believe she's in between planes, getting ready to transition. Is it possible that she's being guided by her spirit, being shown a place of beauty, in familiar surrounds to make her feel at home; to make her reach out to that place? I think so. People who have crossed over into that spirit world tell us that it's very similar to earth only much, much better. Is this what my old lady friend is being given glimpses of? So often we hear stories of people who are dying, suddenly breaking into smiles, reaching out, mentioning names of people who are long gone - Isn't it a lovely thought that there are people waiting for our ferry to land ... and a spirit to show the way. Believe.

1 comment:

Susan Coryell said...

Great blog, Ginny. I'm always in hopes that there's LIFE of some sort that's better on the other side. You give me hope!