A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Adjust Your Sails and Keep Moving!

All through our lives we find ourselves dealing with change. Seasons change, the weather changes, people change, we get old (let me tell you, this getting older nonsense is a real pain specially when you wake up one morning and lo and behold you discover you can't see a darn thing because "poor eyesight" has moved in overnight) friendships change, feelings change and the list goes on. Some changes may even be life-changing. Things happen and sometimes we can control them and sometimes we can't. Change happens. And it's true that if you can rely on nothing else in this world you can count on nothing staying the same. Have you noticed?
I think this is the way that life moves forward, grows and expands and it's not always easy to climb aboard and go with the pain-in-the-patootie flow. Growing pains are tough. Sometimes they're painful, sometimes even excruciating and some of them can be incomprehensible. But there are also some that are unbelievably exciting and fun. One thing's for sure, they are all a little scary because there's always that element of the unknown to deal with. 
The element of the unknown can be another pain in the neck. I happen to like things I am familiar with. I'm comfortable with things I know - comfortable with things that are predictable and therefore easy to deal with. "But you're not growing sitting around in that Lazy Person chair of yours" I hear. Do I have to? Well, I think you have a choice and given the choice of sitting around and slowly atrophying could be life-changing in it's own way. Predictable though. I'm not sure I want to dwell on that sort of predictability.
 I'm too curious to know what else is out there and I've decided that if I sit around using up a lot of energy protesting the changes that sneak up on me, I'll never know. So I'm thinking Let's Go. Let's find out where this road leads to. This particular stretch may be bumpy, lined with thorny bushes and strewn with rocks but What's Around the Next Bend? It might just be wonderful.  
So I'll try hard to welcome change, trusting the thought that someone up there has a plan for me. (It better be a good one.) I'll hope that it is, even though there's an elment of the unknown in that too. But I'll walk towards it in anticipation. 
When the winds change, I'll adjust my sails, heel out, skate along the edge of that wind feeling its touch and the sound of its voice leading me forward. Here's to this crazy life and to where ever we're all going. I hope it's leading us to something wonderful. To something, somewhere above and beyond all our dreams. 
Happy Trails!

No comments: