A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Update

I'm finally getting the hang of setting up the website. We're not there yet but if I can keep my wits together for another day I may have it up and running. No garrantees though because this business is full of pot holes.

Here's the deal. Just when I thought I had everything under control last week, Headings looking good, photos fine, blurb on the book okay, cover page gorgeous, also contact info and blog links etc... I sent up a cheer and a "thank you" to whoever may be listening and went to bed. Happy as a clam was I. Thrilled with my expertise! High Fiving the cat and planning to teach all my "illiterate" friends how to set up websites of their own.

That was then ...  When I woke up the next morning, I tripped lightly, all aglow, into my study and sat down to launch the site. Tap, tap, type in all my ID info and sit there still glowing expectantly, waiting for the machine to wake up. It did. And the fist message it sent back was, "Who are you?" What?

A week later  after numerous one-way conversations with the website I was working with and getting NOWHERE mainly because none of them appeared to be able to access the original info I'd set up my site with. (Name, URL, domain name etc...) and getting thoroughly P.O'd with their lack of help, illiteracy etc... it dawned on me that I might be the screw-up. Turned out I was. So after I tried every combo of my ID I could think of, I finally hit on the right one. And the machine said "Hello Ginny Brock!" How nice to see you too - you wing nut piece of ... never mind.

At the moment, an uneasy detente exists between me and my Dell. And I just need it to last for a little while longer.Then I'm Done!

In the meantime, I've been writing a couple of fore-runner articles for By Morning's Light. One of them will appear in Llewellyn's Journal shortly before publication - I believe.

The roses, by the way are still alive. One of them is beginning to turn brown nearly two months after I got them, and has lost two petals this week. The others are still pink. And that warms my heart.

See you soon.

   

2 comments:

Becky Mushko said...

Looking forward to your website being up and running!

jonjonmet said...

I know the feeling Ginny. I am having the same problem with Wordpress and now I have forgotten the paasword I set up.Ha well there plenty more where that came from if I can muster up the patience again which I find I am rather short of these days.
All the Best

John