A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Life Is Forever

It's Resurrection Day in the Christian tradition. It's a good tradition in my opinion, as it is a day of light, lilies and Life Everlasting. Whatever else I don't like about any organized religion, this is one tradition that has its roots in the fundamentals of a belief in the afterlife. That's something I can believe in and something I can actually attest to. And it's also the theme of my non-fiction book "By Morning's Light" which is a first-hand account of soul survival following the death of my son, Drew.

When I think about the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, when I hear that the women of Galilee took the annointing oils to the tomb on Sunday morning only to find that he wasn't there - the rock that enclosed the tomb had been set aside and it was empty -  I can believe that. And then they tell us that two men, surrounded by dazzling light, appeared saying, "Why do you look for him here? Don't you remember he told you that day in Galilee that on the third day he would rise from the grave? Don't you know - he isn't here, he is alive." Duh!

So the women rushed back to town to tell everyone but of course no one believed them. But I do. Then they tell us that he appeared alongside two men on the road to Emmaus who were talking about the terrible happenings of the week before - but they didn't recognize him - Couldn't believe thier eyes, probably - until he sat down with them, broke bread in the biblical fashion  - and they knew who he was - but then he vanished. He appeared numerous other times according to the bible, and although the townspeople and the apostles knew him to be dead, when he said to them, "Why are you afraid? Can't you see it is I, Jesus. I'm alive!" They remembered what he had told him and believed.

So do I. I too went to the hospital the day after Drew died. I knew he wasn't there - not in the bed I'd left him in. And then five days later - not three - he appeared to me in one of those visions when I was least expecting him. Vibrant, whole, living breathing Drew. And I absolutely knew it was to tell me that he lives.

I saw my mother in a dream months after she died, standing in front of me - living and breathing - and I remember gasping in that dream and saying "They told me you were dead!" And she replied, "Ginny - the dead can't speak." And she was gone.

So yes, I believe that Jesus died and came back to show his family and friends that he was alive. Whatever else they've distorted and messed with in the Holy Books of the world religions - this, I know, is true.

I hope you have a lovely spring day. Enjoy the flowers, the kids, the bunnies (if anyone was so ill-advised as to give you a matched pair watch out...) and especially the chocolate! Goes well with a good cabernet or with anything, actually. Chocolate rules.
Happy Easter.  

No comments: