A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Stripping the Phantom of it's Mask

A Person of Beauty left our world last week and ever since Maya Angelo passed on, I've been thinking of Strong Women. Oprah and the other Great and Famous People come to mind, but I was thinking of people like you and I. Ordinary people, men and women, who rise above and beyond the bar when the situation calls for it. A well-loved friend wrote this letter last week, and I want to share it with all of you. She titled it "I can Smell the Barn!!" and addressed it to her friends. She began by thanking them for their kindness and encouragement,as she found herself quite unexpectedly, on a road that is all too familiar to too many. "This is not something you want to do alone," she said. Yesterday, I had my third round of Chemo ... One more to go and we can close the book on that giant CLEANSE portion of the treatment (for breast cancer). Am pleased to say that I passed with flying colors! Amazingly enough, I still have hair - if you've ever seen what the Phantom looks like when he removes his mask in Phantom f the Opera - you've got the picture. Not my best, but still there! I am now seen most often sporting a baseball cap or wearing my new cranial prosthesis named Gladys! The Wig. I'm doing just great. Cancer has given me a new lease on life. I'm taking time to enjoy the beauty that surrounds us and am especially taking time to think about a lot of things - the love of family; the importance of friends; those less fortunate. I believe that when it's all over and done, I'm going to say that this was one of the best things that ever happened to me. I'm sure the second half of my life will be filed with new pleasures and joys. I hope I can help other women facing this scary disease to realize that it's not the end of the world - it's really just beginning. In the meantime, just wanted to say I'm doing great ... and I trust that the lessons I'm learning will mark my path in my journey going forward. Thanks for walking it with me. Cindy. What a tribute to the Human Spirit. I've known Cindy for a long time, you met her in "By Morning's Light". She inspired me then, all through the worst journey of my life, making me laugh when I could barely smile; picking me up when I was down, moving me forward on her magic carpet of laughs, encouragement, and her zest for life. Her spirit touches everyone she meets, and now it's our turn to be strong for her. Everyone she knows, will walk this journey with her; we won't be afraid of the road ahead, and we'll all cross the finish line together, in a shower of balloons, streamers and a riot of drum-beating silly clowns! Walk on, everyone who's reading this, with the people you know who may be victims of this and other horrors. With anyone you can help, encourage and inspire. Be there for each other, because we know how close to home this scourge can hit ... And if, God forbid, this, or something like it, charges at any one of us - we'll all be there, six-shooters at the ready, On Guard! Because we're strong. Even though we don't always feel strong, even though we may feel helpless at times ... Shoulders back! Tummies in, Chins up and Forward March! It's a choice ladies and gentlemen. Sometimes the only viable choice we have. Take it and thrive. In the words of the poetess, Maya Angelo, "If you have it, give it; if you learn it teach it." Thanks for teaching the lessons you've learned, Cindy. See you at the checkered flag! Tally HO!

1 comment:

Bamma said...

Ginny,
So beautifully said! Cindy is a rock, and I am blessed to have had her as a friend for over 36 years. Now that I know you, I can hear you speaking when I read your blog. Thanks!