A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Out of the Mouths of Babes

   Why do we say "Out of the Mouths of Babes"  when a child pops out with an undeniable truth or observation?
   I have an idea. If you believe as I do, (or even play with that belief) you know that we are much more than human from the time we slide into this human reality. We're much more interesting than that! We're spirits, who've decided to get out feet wet in this ocean of emotional, volitile, happy, sad, human condition. And as such, isn't it reasonable to believe that the newest earth-comers, our children, still remember where they came from? The memories are fresh. And if you can remember where you came from, you probably haven't lost those truths and values that are part of the spirit you. So, every so often, something clicks, and one of those truths leak through intact. Pay close attention. There's much to be re-learned.
   Our grown up truths are, sadly, no longer intact. For most of us, they've been twisted or changed or re-interpreted to mean something they don't mean at all. Sometimes the things we pop out with are just plain nonsense.
   You know as well as I do that we're all vulnerable to the manipulation and distortion of our thoughts and highest ideals. Sometimes we recognize the manipulation that's taking place and can switch back to what we know to be true, but sometimes we don't. It's just part of being human and one of those challenges that we struggle with.
   Young children are different.They haven't been here long enough to have had their minds and spirits distorted. Mainly because we, the 'grown ups' have been too busy teaching them how to walk and talk. It's only later that we start messing with their thoughts.
The exciting thing to me is that if left alone, young children can tell you a lot about where they came from. And the stork didn't have much to do with it.
Try asking an under-five year old, "Where were you before you got here? Before you were born." When I asked my granddaughter that she looked at me as though I'd flipped and said, "My mommy's tummy, Mimi!"  Don't you know anything, Mimi  implied. So you may have to persevere. Say, "Yes, I know that but what about before you were in your mommy's tummy?" Watch the facial expression, the hand movements and then listen to the answer. Fascinating. If you wait too long it'll be too late because someone will have told them not to tell lies or  "That's nonsense!" They know it's not but they shut down.
     My grand mother encouraged me and I encouraged mine, and I am especially aware of what my grand children say.
     Have fun with it. Don't you like to share memories? So do they.

 

No comments: