A Shaft of Light

A Shaft of Light

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How Weird is That??

     I know you've wondered about synchronicity - is that how you spell it? Am I in sync with my English teacher Sister Denise? She came into my life at exactly the right time - around the time I was exploring my love for writing.
      Synchronicity is a really neat phenomena. The easiest example I can think of is one like this: you've been thinking of someone, the phone rings and that ery person is on the other end. We've all done that. Then this one: You've been wondering about someone off and on all day - someone you haven't seen for years. It started this morning. Your car radio (not a '50s station) suddenly let off a blast with "Blue Suede Shoes." It made you think of an old school friend who found a pair of these shoes and took up mimicking Elvis - to everyone's delight. Makes you smile. Later in the day an invitation to a '50s Sock Hop arrives for you. Yup, the rolled up sleeves, the swing skirts (some with poodles) bobby socks and blue jeans rolled up at the cuff.... Hmmm, you think. Then out of the blue - where else - that old school friend that you haven't seen for ages calls and says she's coming to town - would you like to have lunch? OMG.
     "Do you still have those old Blue Suede Shoes?" You ask.

     That's what I'm talking about. "Synchronicity". Mr. Webster defines it: "...to happen at the same time ~ to represent or arrange (events) to indicate coincidence or coexistence."

     First, I don't believe in coincidences - not like these - when they all line up boom, boom boom, and produce an event you hadn't even thought of. Secondly, once you become aware of its existence, this synchronicity shows up in the strangest ways and when you're least expecting it.. 
     Who's "arranging" all this stuff? I got very familiar with it while I was writing the book - synchronicity around every corner! 
      Be aware. It's fun.
    
    

1 comment:

jonjonmet said...

I believe Yung coined the phrase syncronicity sometime in the 1900 to decribe two or more event apparently unrelated that occur at the same time. As the invention which happens in two different places when there is no apparent knowledge od each other between the inventors. I think his name was Carl Gustav.

Johnhayhurst